Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Should that not be pubic places?


I feel embodied and enriched by my vicarious association with these wo-men (see previous Fryday), especially when I read what else the one on the left (in more ways than one) has involved herself with:

Research Interests
In 1985 I completed a Masters thesis in which I argued that sexual violence against women helps to ensure that space ‘belongs’ to men. In 1997 I completed a doctoral thesis titled ‘Geographies that Matter: Pregnant Bodies in Public Places’.

Over the past decade my main research interests have been in ‘geography and the body’. I’ve critiqued the (masculinist) epistemology and ontology of the discipline. I have also focused attention on the ways in which particular axes of embodied subjectivity such as gender, sexuality and maternity become entwined with space.

My current research interests are:
- maternities and space including mothers using ICT
- sex and gender studies including masculinity studies
- feminist, queer and poststructuralist theory
- 'fat' bodies: representations and materialities
- food, place and identity for migrant women
- qualitative methodologies

----------------
Now playing: Dusty Springfield - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

The Long Walk Back

  Someone, it may have been Will Rogers, once said of California that it was as if the United States had tilted, and all the country’s nuts ...