Friday, May 31, 2019

Hair today


I count myself a fortunate person because I have hair. I have a lot of hair. Many men my age, and younger, do not and it is not always for hereditary reasons. My father lost much of his hair and two of my sons continue to look distinguished despite losing much of theirs. A third son keeps all his hair.
Hair is a wonderful thing, though I am unsure of what useful service it performs. Obviously, it is a throwback to the day when we descended from hairy apes when I guess its purpose was warmth. These days it is aesthetic, but it is also a distinguishing factor, particularly among men. We are still largely a tribal society and if we examine men's hair styles closely, we can see that style distinguishes which tribe they belong to. Here are some examples:
Televangelists
Without a doubt and universally this tribe of parasites have the worse and most distinctive hairstyles of all. Think Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggart, Kenneth Copeland and Brian Tamaki. They invariably have an abundance of hair with not one follicle given the freedom of movement; their hair is always swept to the side or the back and is invariably dyed. Do they go to the same hairdresser? You can walk down the street and see that hair coming toward you and say, yes, that’s a televangelist…God help me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2af4gcS-b9Y
Rugby League Players
This tribe tries to out do each other in strange hairstyles. Many sport throwbacks to the 50s when short back and sides were de rigeur and hardly avoided. Others have strange cuts such as man-buns (Kieran Foran) or umbrellas (Kevin Proctor). Others such as Tohu Harris grow their hair long so they look like a Dothraki from Game of Thrones. What all rugby league players seem to have in common though is a complete inability to have a normal haircut like rugby players (Ma’a Nonu apart). They are however less boring.
Rock Stars
Who knows? They are all over the place these days. They don’t even call themselves rock stars any more; they call themselves “artists”. Right—Kanye West? There was a time when the rock star tribe was easily identified by the length of hair and moreover the differing length of hair showed which sub-tribe they belonged to: the longest denoting heavy metal. But these days? Who knows? Then again, who cares?
Donald Trump
Nothing more need be said.

I am growing my hair long. Not because I want to look like a rock star/artist. Not because I want to have the scope to turn it into a piece of art like the league players. And not because I want your money like a televangelist. No, I am doing it because I like it long, because it suits (hides) the shape of my face, and…most of all…because I can. I count myself a fortunate person.

No comments:

The Long Walk Back

  Someone, it may have been Will Rogers, once said of California that it was as if the United States had tilted, and all the country’s nuts ...