Friday, February 28, 2014

Letter from Somalia (2)

Dear Frydaygroup Friends
Wonderful, wonderful news. I am quite overcome with excitement and cannot wait to share that excitement with you.
But first I must bring you up to date with what happened since we last corresponded. You will remember that on that occasion I was in the midst of Somalia at night watching distant lights approach our grounded plane. My new-found lady friend opined that they may be the lights of bandits or pirates whom I believe are quite prevalent in these parts. We were cautioned into silence. I am happy to be able to tell you now that our caution was unwarranted. The lights belonged to a convoy of Christian missionaries, which my friend thought just as bad. But when they finally arrived at the plane, I found them quite delightful and very much helpful. They kept saying they wanted to save us, though I know not from what. Our plane was by now fully repaired (as subsequent events so proved) but they seemed to be very persistent. It was only when I began my recitation on the breeding habits of the Devonport Guppy that they thought to leave and our plane could take off.
It was a delightful interlude, but there were no other events before our arrival at Bosasa two days later. And here we arrive at my wonderful news. Who should I see here in Bosasa but none other than my erstwhile brother-in-law Prince Mongatabo, brother of my late husband King Abundo. What excitement! He recognised me immediately! But what would bring Mongatabo all the way from Nigeria to Somalia? Well, it appears that he has some sort of role with the Somali Navy, and I shall tell you more of that in a moment. Most exciting of all is that he already has many friends in New Zealand! Many of whom, he says, started as investors in his Nigerian businesses whom he met by email. By email, can you imagine! It is a small world. He asked me how many friends I had in New Zealand and I told him about all my Frydaygroup friends and he says he will write to you all so that he can be your friend too. It will be lovely.
Now for my other good news and one that has much to do with my guppy hunt. I am to be taken to sea tomorrow for an off-shore search. And I have Mongatabo to thank for it. You see, I said he had something to do with the Somali Navy. I do not know that for sure, but I do know that he introduced me to twelve or so friends of his whose job is to go to sea in their small boats and help guide big ships through Somali waters, and they have offered to take me along when they go out tomorrow. They are heavily armed. But, as Mongatabo says, so is everybody else and these men need protection from sharks and crocodiles and such like. From what I have heard, said I, we might add pirates to our list of hazards. Mongatabo simple smiled (he has a lovely smile) and said pirates wouldn’t be a problem. I cannot wait, I am quite in a tis as you can imagine.
So, from Somalia and soon to sea, bless you my friends.
Much love,
Phyllis.

Yours truly,

Phyllis J. Fenwick (Miss).

Internet support kindly provided by Jack Arbuckle’s Pre-Loved Car Emporium

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...