Friday, August 10, 2012

The Olympics: Questions Have to be Asked.

Fryday is a little late this week because, like you, I have been riveted and preoccupied by the Olympics. Unlike you, it is not the events themselves that have caught my attention. It is what happens immediately after, an entirely different competition. It is a competition among television commentators and interviewers to ask the most inane ridiculous question they can of an athlete. The competition is fierce and as almost as old as television and the Olympics. And indeed most of the answers given are as old and as hoary as well. But what if the athletes answered honestly and treated the questions and the questioners with the contempt they deserve? Would we hear something like this? Q: Andre, what was the first thing that came into your mind when you crossed first over that winning line? A: I hope they don’t drug-test me. Q: Rafael, you are one of the greatest tennis players of all time. Yet you are here playing in the Olympics. What makes the Olympics so special for you? A; That cute little blonde Ukranian playing in the doubles. Q: Mark, that must go down in history as one of the greatest rides of all time. You have been written into Olympic history as the greatest of all time. An Olympic legend. What’s the driving force that’s lead you to the top and kept you there? A: Usually a horse. Q: Barry? An Olympic Silver Medal? You must be very proud. What do you say to all those back home who supported you? A: If you had supported me a little more it would have been freakin’ gold. Q: Joachim, you have defeated your great friend and rival Johannes in the shot-put final. Your great happiness must be tinged with a little sadness for your friend? A: You are joking…right? Q: Lydia, a proud New Zealander, and a good race, but you must be a little disappointed in your 15th place finish? A: Who came 16th? Q: An Australian. A: Awesome! Q: Robyn, one of the greatest races in history surely? What can I say? A: Nothing. I have just run a bloody marathon. I just want to climb into the jacuzzi. Q: We have with us Toni Dempster’s mother Trish Dempster. Trish, just pipped at the post coming fourth. You must be very proud of her. What are your thoughts? A: That her father and I have just blown 40 thousand quid and countless hours getting here. And the gold medal for the worst, yet weirdly most common, question? Q: John, did you ever think you would be standing here, an Olympic Gold Medal around your neck? A: No I spent two thirds of my life training 60 hours a week so I could be a dairy farmer.

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...