Friday, April 22, 2011

Queer as Folk


Surely it is a grim irony that Radio Live’s rural programme should this morning have an item on the extermination of rabbits. One would have thought the wilful destruction of Easter Eggs’ primary distribution channel could have waited until after the break. But farmers are not noted for their sensitivity or for embracing the finer nuances of life. That surely is why so many of them gravitate to Hamilton. Don’t get me wrong; I have nothing personally against rural folk, but after my experiences this week I do feel that far too many of them have the rather off-putting propensity to pick up their banjos and start duelling. Those experiences have been unsettling but don’t warrant detailing here. Suffice to say the North Country saying of “there’s nowt so queer as folk” certainly applies to some of our citizens and whilst many of those live in our cities, it seems to me a greater proportion live in our rural heartlands. Rather than far from the madding crowd, they are the madding crowd. I have also found the unsettling truth that a disproportionate number are called Watson. I don’t know why. Perhaps the inter-galactic travel agency that deposited them here lacked imagination. But they are among us. We have to live with it. However, having interacted with so many over the past week I, for one, am in no hurry to go canoeing any time soon.

----------------
Now playing: Van Morrison - Back On Top
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Whetu Calls: Water Gate

  Whetu is an old friend of Fryday’s. Not that I think he knows that. He doesn’t have email or access to the internet. In fact, he is so far...