Friday, February 4, 2022

Whetu Calls: The epidemiologist


 

I have known Whetu for a long time. Longer than anticipated and, on reflection, longer than desired. In the time I have known him I have moved house three times and on none of these have I given him my home address. Yet he crops up. He finds me. It is uncanny. The only times he has granted me a hiatus is when he is in prison, which are, admittedly, frequent. His crimes are petty, mostly involving the theft of cars, a couple of burglaries and shoplifting. As far as I know, he has never been convicted of a major crime involving violence or being a member of the Labour Party. I personally have nothing against Whetu. In fact, I admire him for being the entrepreneur he is. And the ruses he adopts and adapts to extort money from me are genuinely creative; but he is an intrusion, an unwelcome visitor, and a penetrator of my comfort zone—I do not like being penetrated. So, it was with some displeasure today that I opened my door to find Whetu on my doorstep. The exchange went like this:

HE: Kia Ora, Bro.

ME: Whetu.

HE: You gots new home?

ME: Yes.

HE: You didn’t tell me.

ME: It slipped my mind.

HE: But I found you.

ME: Obviously. Look, Whetu, what is it this time? And how much?

HE: How much?

ME: How much money do you want? Or, to put it more accurately, how much money are you NOT going to get from me?

HE: I don’t want no money from you.

ME: Really?

HE: I got plenty of money. I gotta new job.

ME: Really? With who…whom?

HE: Pacifica University.

ME: Never heard of it.

HE: It’s new. I am their epdi…epid…epri…bug doctor.

ME: Bug doctor.

HE: I tells them how much covid cases to expect. I models for them.

ME: And what does modelling mean?

HE: Standing around and looking good.

ME: What on earth do you know about Covid?

HE: Nothing.

ME: Nothing.

HE: I makes it up. Television comes to me because I am at university, asks me how much covid cases there are going to be next week, and I tells them.

ME: And how do you know?

HE: I looks it up.

ME: Looks…Look it up, where?

HE: First three numbers of last week’s Lotto draw.

ME: That’s not very scientific.

HE: Well, if you want to get scie…scia…

ME: Scientific.

HE: Yeah, that. I sometimes gives them the first four numbers—scares the shits out of them.

ME: So, what have you come to see me for?

HE: Next week there are going to be 8,433 covid cases.

ME: So?

HE: Want to buy a mask?

 

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...