Friday, January 7, 2022

Doing No.2s


 

The best print advertisement headline I wrote while working in advertising owed its appeal to logic rather than imagination or creativity, so its subsequent success in winning an award was largely undeserved.

It was for Budget Car Rentals who were at the time having trouble with one of its competitors, and the No.1 in the market, Hertz allegedly spreading misinformation about Budget’s vehicle availability in Australia.

The headline I wrote for my ad. was:

The Truth, Hertz.

As I said, not particularly imaginative, but it captured the public’s attention, made Hertz angry (I believe) and garnered me an advertising award.

It wasn’t the best headline written for the car rental industry. That accolade goes to the famous slogan created for Avis by DDB in the 1960s:

When you’re only No.2, you try harder.

So successful was that headline, that Avis’s market share and profits quickly grew to the point that there was a very real risk of it becoming No.1!

There is merit in being No.2; it leaves something for you to aspire to and the motivation to achieve it. I would be quite happy if anything I achieved thus far got me to the position.

But for me, it comes down to something else. Two is my lucky number and 2022 is replete with them (only 2222 is better, and I am unlikely to see that in) so I am looking forward to 2022 with optimism.

I hope you can do the same.

To that end, Fryday wishes you, your family, those you love and all those you simply want the best for, a year in which you attain your dreams, and which leaves you happier moments experiences and memories.

After all, we’ve all worked bloody hard for that over the last two years.

We deserve it.

 

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...