Friday, October 26, 2018

Pick up lines


I am not great at picking up birds.
To be honest, I rarely had the requirement to do so. Any bird that has fallen for me has done so, if not entirely into my lap, at least in sufficient proximity that I haven’t had to go hunting for them.
What I have learnt, though, is that a bird falling for me is entirely excusable. Forgiveness is not a factor, but understanding is. They can’t help it. They are what they are, and I am who I am. Both of us victims or beneficiaries of Nature taking her course.
Which means, of course, I am less the hunter and more the gatherer.
So, you will understand my perplexion today when a bird—a pretty wee thing—fell for me.
What was to be my response? Should I, as my heart was vehemently urging, nurture her? Should I, instead, ignore her in the belief that ultimately it would be better for all? Should I study her with studied indifference, which would have a demoralising and long-term effect on someone so young and impressionable?
In fact, I did what most men of my age and proclivity do: I turned to Google.
Google told me to leave her alone.
Google told that Nature would indeed take her course, and whilst it wasn’t entirely natural that a young bird should fall for an old man like me, it was not  entirely unexpected or unacceptable.
Leave it, Google told me.
So, I did.
And that is my advice to you and to anyone who has birds falling for them. Birds do it all the time (apparently) and unless they are in immediate and mortal danger long-term harm is unlikely.
The bird that fell for me remains outside my window looking in. A few branches above her, her siblings remain in the nest and frequently her mother and father return to make sure she is okay and to show she has not been forgotten.
If one of them has fallen, though not yet flown, from the nest, it is just a matter of time and nature. She will cope, the family will cope and both will survive, and no doubt thrive.
This is a family in love.
No help required from me.

No comments:

The Long Walk Back

  Someone, it may have been Will Rogers, once said of California that it was as if the United States had tilted, and all the country’s nuts ...