Friday, August 30, 2013

The Kindness of Strangers

-->
I am not sure where Whetu lives. He seems to be a person of, as they say, no fixed abode. I know he “goes bush” sometimes, but whether that is literally or figuratively I do not know. I do know he has never asked to stay at my place, and I am sure that he and I can both interpret that as an act of kindness. Whetu is strange like that; he can be incredibly mercenary, yet equally generous, thoughtful and at times even introspective—as I found him yesterday when my cellphone rang:

ME: Hello.
HE: Kia Ora Bro.
ME: Whetu. Long time?
HE: Been down visiting the cuzzies.
ME: Oh? Where?
HE: Paremoremo.
ME: Day visit?
HE: Nah. Stayed a few nights…weeks. Give me time.
ME: The judge did?
HE: Nah. Me. Give me time to do some thinking. Examining my conscious.
ME: You have one then?
HE: Except when I have a few beers, then I loses it.
ME: So, what did all this self-examination produce?
HE: I has a dream bro.
ME: You has…have a dream?
HE: Yus. Just like that King fella that was on TV todays with those fellas from the Destiny Church. He had a dream.
ME: He did. A great one. And what did your dream tell you?
HE: That I won Lotto and I travels the world.
ME: Well, that would be right up there with Martin Luther King.
HE: But it come true Bro!
ME: You won Lotto?
HE: Nah. Not that part. But I gonna travels the world for all my days from now on. Stay all the choice places. Have some beers.
ME: That’s your destiny?
HE: You knows?
ME: We all have one. Destiny.
HE: Youse joining too? Ise just joining their haka party. Want nothing to do with the rest of them fellas. Theys strange bro.


No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...