Friday, April 16, 2010

Law & Disorder

It’s a fine line between law and disorder. There are cops who could be criminals and criminals who could be cops. Certainly there are those who are both. But we hear from several sources that New Zealand has one of the least corruptible police forces in the world. I can accept that. I have met many cops over the last few years, from Commissioner Howard Broad to my local community constable and all I have found to be very dedicated and, to the best of my knowledge, honest. And they are efficient, as I found from their quick recovery of our stolen goods a few weeks back. Incidentally, the crime resolution rate in Rodney where I live is just over 50%, which I find acceptable. So, I think we have a good police force here in New Zealand; the best that money can’t buy. But there is one person, no longer serving but a former constable in west Rodney, of whom I want to make special mention. I first met Anna Crane in a public meeting in which she exhibited the slightly sour demeanour that “police representatives” always seem to adopt at such meetings. I don’t know why they are like that. I don’t expect to be in the presence of the Laughing Policeman, but joviality is surely not beyond attainment. Anyway, that was Anna then and I am talking about Anna now. Anna now works for the local council where she continues to serve the public but adds to her role de facto liaison between council and police. She is also my go-to person when, as often happens, I have to get a message or request through to police without going through more formal channels. Each time I have dealt with Anna I have found her cooperative, informative and friendly. I have also found that she remains in touch with the community and despite what she may have seen as a serving officer demonstrably retains a belief in the inherent good of that community. Anna is also a mother and I assume a wife. She has a family, a life and most important: these days, a smile. No doubt some will regale Fryday with stories of bad cops and that is fair enough. But here on this day and in my own little way I want to acknowledge a good cop, as she was and a bloody nice person as she is.

----------------
Now playing: Donovan - Atlantis
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

The Long Walk Back

  Someone, it may have been Will Rogers, once said of California that it was as if the United States had tilted, and all the country’s nuts ...