Friday, July 24, 2009

There, for History

Unlike just anybody else it seems, I don’t remember where I was the day I heard Kennedy had been shot. Sorry. I can, however, remember where I was the day I watched Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin land on the Moon and I certainly enjoyed watching those enhanced pictures this time around on the 40th Anniversary of that landing. What I found remarkable about those celebrations, apart from the pictures, was the lack of Americanism about them. In their coverage, there seemed a desire by Americans to genuinely share their achievement with the world rather than take ownership. They were, for example, generous and gracious in acknowledging the role and contribution of the Soviet Union to the space race. American astronauts were paraded with dignity and all, it seems, were able to say what they liked. It was good to see. And I wonder if what we are seeing is a new-found dignity and maturity for America, rather than the jingoism of the past. Further evidence of that was the restrained way in which they covered the death of Walter Cronkite.
Contrast that with the hysterical coverage of Michael Jackson just a fortnight before. Have the Americans learnt so much in so little time? Or did one lead to the other? Are Americans themselves embarrassed by the Michael Jackson coverage?
But, returning to Cronkite, what I do remember about the Kennedy coverage was its announcement by a tearful Water Cronkite; it was perfect, if sad, television. Cronkite was there again for the Moon Landing and for that event we can add professional to perfect. Cronkite was there, always, for history. And history and we were well served by this man.
As a footnote, perhaps the only sadness attached to the Moon Landing celebrations was that Mr Cronkite didn’t get the opportunity to participate, perhaps by coming out of retirement to cover or comment on this event. He and we missed that by less than a week.

----------------
Now playing: Plácido Domingo - Dein ist mein ganzes Herz
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...