Friday, December 29, 2006

Yearling

With only a few days to go of the current year, it could be seen as incumbent on Fryday to undertake a review of that year; I reject that encumbrance.

“The best and worst” is done ad nauseum, and you probably find it as boring as I do. The only people who relish retrospective regurgitation are those who actually appeared in the news or those in Palmerston North, Canterbury, and Hamilton who think it still is the news!

However there were a couple of personal highpoints that I should not fail to mention: persuading the highly desirable, inevitably interesting and surprisingly indefatigable Maggie Fordham to marry me was one of them; the wedding itself was another; as was the post-wedding party spent with family and friends.

Elsewhere I look to the unwavering support of friends/colleagues in what, to put it mildly, has been a difficult job as “spokesman” for the Rodney District Council; akin to that, the superb job my friend Mitch has done in taking up the reins of the writing company.

All of which has given me the foundation for what I know will be a difficult 2007.

But, that’s next year: a few days, a trip to Matakana, a sojourn to the movies, and one or two bottles of wine away from now. I’ll worry about it when it arrives.

For now, the only encumbrance I feel upon me is one I embrace with alacrity and sincerity: and that is to wish you all that is fresh and invigorating for the balance of the holiday season, and a rich and wonderful New Year.

Next week: what the newsmakers’ New Year resolutions reveal about themselves.

----------------
Now playing: Meat Loaf & Bonnie Tyler - If You Really Want To
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Fryday versus AI

I have decided to restart Fryday.   I’m doing it, in part, because yesterday I promised a very important man in my life that I would and, be...